About Me

My photo
At the age of 20, Jay has sought out to verbally and orally express her most inner thoughts. Topics of cultural pride and social injustice harbor at the root of her soul and emerge as powerful words that create powerful stories. She has yet to experience and know it all and she has accepted this fact; choosing to absorb the intellect of others before her. Currently, she attends a diverse university in Miami, Florida and hopes to finish college in a year. "Once a teacher asked me to think of ONE word that describes who I am...I chose to use the word INDIAN because I consider myself to be West Indian and Native American. To deny my culture is to deny the epitome of who I truly am and what I truly stand for."

Tuesday, April 10, 2007

Hands At Work (Child Labor)

The following was inspired by a scholarship application I am currently working on focused on the ideal of compassion and child labor...let me know your thoughts. Thanks.




HANDS AT WORK

Scarred hands powdered in dirt...
Limbs worn from travel
Eyes fixated on an imaginary dream.




Collectivism has placed me in a compromising position,
I have been abandoned by my own society,
Forced to sell my $20 body,
Forced into agriculture and mining...
Where's Mister Education and Salvation?

A Product of child labor,
A Result of Isolation,
A Fiend for Survival...


As I walk the impoverished streets of Ghana,
As my distant brother in Cambodia works his bones to shreds (harvesting rice),

As my fellow sister in the outskirts of Bombay watches her body disintegrate,
My innocence continues to shred...
10 years old and forced into adulthood.


Photo credits:

Photo 2: www.beps.net

No comments: