About Me

My photo
At the age of 20, Jay has sought out to verbally and orally express her most inner thoughts. Topics of cultural pride and social injustice harbor at the root of her soul and emerge as powerful words that create powerful stories. She has yet to experience and know it all and she has accepted this fact; choosing to absorb the intellect of others before her. Currently, she attends a diverse university in Miami, Florida and hopes to finish college in a year. "Once a teacher asked me to think of ONE word that describes who I am...I chose to use the word INDIAN because I consider myself to be West Indian and Native American. To deny my culture is to deny the epitome of who I truly am and what I truly stand for."

Saturday, March 10, 2007

God Can (not) Hear

I had to place a disclaimer first to inform everyone that I do not consider myself to be of any religion...not yet. I am a believer in God, but honestly I have not found a sanctuary that I deem comfortable enough to call my holy home. I do not look down upon any religion, even those who have not...everyone has a reason for their choice and I respect them all. Anyone of any religion is free to comment, because I am primarily looking for critique on my poetic style. If you have something more to say, that is fine but I don't expect any back-to-back arguing. Everyone's comments are just that: their comments.


God Can (not) Hear

O holy ground
That graciously scratches the sole of my feet
Leading me to the altar where I often pray
So much has changed,
So much has been sacrificed
Your holiness has reincarnated in a different way.
A sanctuary turned into something more unheard of,
Shunned, something more perverse
In manner, in general,
A bludgeoned curse.

“My Father wouldn’t do this, so how could you?
You’re anything but heaven-sent…I dread the presence of you”.
He’s told me that this is best for you and that I take this now –
“You’re doing inappropriate healing, one that the Almighty would never allow.”
I’m the spiritual guide and icon he gave you, I’ll do as I please,
now be a good person and drop to your knees.
“Oh sinful demon, go away because God will protect me from fear –“
For the last time, He won’t, for He can not hear.

I’ve lost all hope in religion and I’ve tried to forgive.
But how can I forgive a man who is invisible to me?
If he so loved the world, he’d let us all live
And let utopia be.




Yet we will not be able to suffer
Travesty and unjustly wraths;
We’d have no need for rationale and no ounce of feelings
That guide us on diverse, necessary paths.
Feelings of guilt, compassion, strength, feebleness,
Contempt, righteousness, and withdrawal –
All serve as testimony of believers who have or will hear God’s call.

****************


There is no doubt that the poem above was done with the epidemic, that has plagued the Catholic Church, in mind. It also is geared towards the silent matters of adultery that go on in every church; issues that haven't been broadcasted as much, but we all know they exist.

Credits:
photo 1 courtesy of http://religious.gmu.edu
photo 2 courtesy of www.hindunet.com.au
photos 3-5 courtesy of
www.spaceandmotion.com
photo 6 courtesy of www.religion-cults.com
photo 7 courtesy of www.onickz.com

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

Religion is always a confrontational subject but I think your approach was tasteful...I admire your boldness...as far as your poetry, I think you have a good sagacity of your distinctive voice & style...love the images
-MoKha

Anonymous said...

I BELIEVE IN A HIGHER BEING..... AND THAT IS ALL THAT YOU CAN DO...YA CAN'T QUESTION GREATNESS AND AT TIMES WE CAN NOT EVEN QUESTION OUR SENSE OF QUESTIONING... but this peice I must tell you... conditioned to me think... Does he hear me? if he does why so much going on? You are a true artist... if you can invoke thoughts, and ge the hamster rolling in others minds then you have mastered your craft. :O)

Vitamin Jay said...

Thanks ladies. I agree with you bold strongly. I tried not to let my own personal tackles and faith in religion show, because the real job of a poet is to give a multi-dimensional perspective of a topic.

We all have internal questions and sometimes we are too scared to even show our doubt in some beliefs...

Glad to see you all didn't scare away from the subject.

Anonymous said...

This is profound and interesting. I've often wondered if religions erased all the given names for God, would people still believe? I'd like to think so, but I guess that's too personal a question. Thanks for the provocative thinking.

Vitamin Jay said...

Anytime. I often wonder that too. Peoplewould probably find something else to label as a special indication of their chosen or assigned religion. Some need a name for distinction purposes...I know,so superficial! ;)